Why You Need To Have More Fun With Your Kids
As one wise person once said, “The days are long but the years are short”.
Ever feel like the “grumpy” Mum? That all you seem to do is cook, clean up, stop the kids from fighting etc. Sounds like you need to have more fun with your kids!
Recently I had been feeling exactly like that. All the time! It felt like the bulk of my parenting was about preparing meals and following up homework, and refereeing fights. I could hear my own voice reminding the kids to do their teeth, pack their school lunch, pick up their dirty socks, put them in the wash… again and again!
Related Post: What Jobs Kids Can Help With Plus Chore Charts
I know some of that not so fun stuff is simply the season of parenting I am in. Right now, my kids are 7, 8 and 11 years old and their learning to take responsibility for themselves. But sometimes I wish I was reading a book or having coffee with a girlfriend… anything but parenting my kids!
However I am a big believer in enjoying what I do… at least most of the time! I think life is too short to struggle through indefinitely. Plus, I have learnt from experience that just getting by or surviving without fun, laughter and enjoyment in my life is not good for my mental health. Hello burn out!
Play is not just important for our kids, it is also healthy for us adults too! It is a significant way of improving our own imaginations, creativity, problem-solving abilities and emotional well-being. Yes, play is an essential form of relaxation and stimulation for all ages!
So when parenting feels hard, I encourage you to purposefully choose to spend more ofyour time engaging in fun and playful activities with your kids.
Here’s my list of ideas for how to have more fun with your kids. Some take only 5 minutes, some are whole day activities.
50 Ways To Have More Fun With Your Kids:
- Take turns saying tongue twisters.
- Construct things from boxes.
- Plant some seeds.
- Make milkshakes.
- Jump on a trampoline.
- Climb a tree.
- Play a game of outdoor four square.
- Tell each other jokes.
- Cook together.
- Play a board game.
- Visit the op shop and look for cheap treasures/ second hand books.
- Have a movie night at home.
- Sunset dinner: buy or pack a dinner and take it to the beach to watch the sunset.
- Enjoy a water park.
- Research a “how does this work” topic on YouTube.
- Look for insects or snails in the back yard.
- Make up silly songs about everyday things.
- Make and decorate biscuits or cookies.
- Build stuff with Lego.
- Play loud music and try out some crazy dance moves.
- Build a campfire and toast marshmellows.
- Paint with water.
- Read a chapter book adventure story aloud.
- Create with playdough.
- Draw and colour pictures.
- Try out funny voices.
- Take a walk around your neighbourhood.
- Have a barbecue at a local park.
- Create a treasure hunt in the house or back yard.
- Go swimming at the local pool or beach.
- Visit the local library.
- Go to the zoo.
- Play card games.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Build sand castles.
- Read a funny picture story book aloud.
- Tell funny stories.
- Make a home made movie.
- Have a pillow fight.
- Thumb-wrestle, play mercy, or have a tickle fight.
- Play hide and seek.
- Visit a local museum or history display.
- Write stories together.
- Get up early, pack breakfast, and have a sunrise breakfast.
- Go for a bush walk.
- Visit a nature playground.
- Watch an outdoor movie.
- Play a game of dodge ball.
- Make damper.
- Do some finger knitting.
Whatever you choose, let’s be intentional about enjoying our kids!
Check Out These Related Posts: