How To Decorate A Bedroom
So here’s the basics of how to decorate a bedroom (and some of the areas I am going to tackle in my master bedroom makeover):
1. Bedroom Paint Color
Painting a room is often one of the easiest changes to make in a bedroom and I reckon, the one thing that has the biggest impact on how the space feels and looks. Other than decluttering, of course!
Here are a few ideas for bedroom paint colors:
- Relaxing Colors – Dark gray-blue, soft gray, icy blue, soft neutral green, lavender.
- Moody Colors – Dark to deep blue, dark jungle green, chocolate, dusty pink.
- Neutral Colors – Shades of white, cream, gray, black.
The paint color in my bedroom is a soft country green. While I was thinking about changing it to white, for now its staying as it is.
Your choice of curtains is a great way to decorate your bedroom. Consider the texture and weight of the curtains, and whether you want to go neutral or use them to bring in pattern.
Tips for Hanging Curtains:
- Hang curtains wide and high over the bedroom window.
- Heavy curtains are best hang full length to the floor.
- Light or sheer curtains can be hung touching the floor.
I have 2 layers of curtains in our bedroom, white block out curtains and then a sheer lace net curtain underneath. The sheer curtain I will be replacing during this room makeover.
Lighting is one area of bedroom decor that is important for both function and style. Ceiling lights, and bedside lamps or sconces, are an easy way to add to the overall style and ambience of your bedroom.
Bedroom Lighting Ideas:
- Look for lighting fixtures that go with the decorating style of your bedroom. For example; metal, glass, bamboo.
- Types of ceiling lights; flush mount (fits directly against the ceiling), semi-flush mount (drops down a short distance) and pendant light (hangs down on a chain or long rod).
- Pendant lights are a great choice when you want the ceiling light to be a big design statement in the room. They can also be hung and used as bedside lighting.
- Choose the size of the light fixtures in proportion to the size of your bedroom. In a large bedroom, choose a large ceiling light. If your bedroom is small, look for a small, simple overhead light.
- Wall sconces are great as bedside lighting when you want your bedroom to have an uncluttered look, as there is no lamp needed on the nightstands.
Sourcing a beautiful ceiling light and bedside lamps are on my to do list for my master bedroom. I am kind of over the bare bulb look by now!
4. Above The Bed Decor
Wall décor is the part of decorating that pulls everything together and makes the room look finished. It’s also where you have the opportunity to personalize your space with something you love, that you find appealing or even meaningful to you.
Anything, from a sculptured mirror, a large stylized quote, art prints to family photos.
5. Bedroom Floor Rug
Similar to the the choice of curtains, an area rug or floor rug is a great way to add interest to the bedroom especially when everything is in neutral colors. You can use an area rug to bring in texture (think fluffy and cozy underfoot), pattern or color.
Floor Rug Placement Tips:
- The area rug should not touch the walls. Leave a small space between the wall and the edge of the rug, with a bigger gap if your bedroom size is large.
- The area rug should not push up against the edge of the dresser or other large pieces of furniture. You want to choose a rug that is large enough to either sit underneath part of the dresser, or small enough so there is a small gap between the edge of the rug and the edge of the furniture.
- If the bedroom or closet door needs to swing over the rug, check that there is enough gap under the door to fit the rug comfortably.
Hope that’s given you some ideas for decorating your own bedroom! What are your bedroom must haves?
Want to see the changes I made to our master bedroom? Check out our green master bedroom makeover!
5 Simple Ways To Decorate A Bedroom - Dadne
Sunday 15th of September 2019
[…] Original Source […]
Monday 8th of October 2018
Love your color choices. I'm looking forward to following along. :)
Thursday 11th of October 2018
Thanks Libbie! I am looking forward to how this master bedroom turns out too! :)