Last year (yes over a year ago!!) I decided to upgrade my daughter’s small wardrobe, to a much better storage solution, a large pine chest of drawers. I happened to find a dark brown stained pine set of drawers while out second hand shopping. Can you believe that someone once paid $699 for it (it had the original price sticker on it) and I picked it up for around $150? However because of the condition of it, it did need sanding back and re-staining or painting!!
However this project sat on my to do list for a long time!! Then a few months back I started on it with several coats of primer and then matt wall paint. It sat again, well my daughter, Kalyani, was still using it, for a bit longer! Finally I got back to it recently when I painted the walls and ripped up the carpet to lay laminate floorboards. This time I decided to go with a raw pine and white look, rather than all white. Here is the before and after furniture makeover!
First I took my orbital sander to the drawer fronts and completely sanded back the areas where I had previously painted. I had to make sure that I not only removed the paint but all of the brown stain underneath. The top of the drawers was left to be repainted rather than being sanded back. It had some damage which would have been tricky to completely sand out.
I used painters tape to make a line across the drawers. Yes for some unknown reason I decided to vary the size of the sections that would be white. This time, instead of matt wall paint I painted the drawers with an Aqua Enamel paint in semi-gloss. Aqua enamel is a water based paint which has a tougher finish than the wall paint. Since these drawers would get a lot of use in my daughter’s room I wanted the finish to be really durable. I applied at least two coats of the aqua enamel.
WAX RAW WOOD
When the paint was dry (read- I left them for a few days on the back verandah and forgot about them) I then removed the tape and fixed up any areas I felt needed a bit more paint. Since I was on to other projects by then, and my daughter wanted it finished, she got the job of applying a beeswax furniture polish to protect the raw pine wood. We used l’essentiel Beeswax Polish.
Next I reattached the original brass handles. My least favourite job, as each handle needed three screws.
I also spotted a piece of edged frosted glass, all by its lonesome, in my local thrift store which I got for the bargain price of $2. I thought it would go great onto the chest of drawers, as extra protection. Clothes now back in the drawers!!